Thursday, November 3, 2011

My mother's recipe for Spaghetti and Meatballs

 
meatballs
My mother's recipe for Spaghetti and Meatballs came from a newspaper cooking column for children in the late 1940's or early 1950's.  I still use the meatball recipe although I have made minor changes. 

Meatballs

1 lb. ground beef
1/4 lb. sausage
2 T. finely chopped onion
2 eggs
1 Cup. soft bread crumbs
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Mix, form into walnut-sized meatballs. 

My notes:  I don't care for the nutmeg in meatballs although I know it's use is fairly common.  I leave it out.  If I want Italian meatballs, I use Italian sausage and add a little Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.  I also double the onion.  If I just want plain meatballs I use plain sausage and double the onion.

These can be frozen raw or cooked.  Raw:  Place on baking sheet, freeze solid, bag.  Cooked:  Place on baking sheet, bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees, cool, freeze, bag.

I usually use these for Spaghetti and Meatballs or for Meatball Subs.  I've also used them for soup and once used them for Beef and Noodles.
__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment