Thursday, November 3, 2011

CTS thanksgiving Breads/stuffing

 

Here is a repost of mine from 2009:

As I was searching through the archives for something, this old post
popped up - What great timing so I thought I would repost for those
interested.

How to make dried bread for stuffings:

I make the traditional bread stuffing and this is how I do it.

First I cut and cube any GFCF bread that I have into the same size
cubes (similar to crouton size). I sometimes make several loaves
just for this or use what ends I have left in the freezer.

Second I place the cubes on a crumbled up piece of foil on a cookie
sheet in a 200 degree oven and bake for 1 hour. I turn off the oven
and let them sit in there for at least another 1 hour or until dry
(overnight is best).

Third I sautee 1 C chopped onion and 2 C chopped celery in 1/2 C
GFCF margarine. After it is soft, I add 1 1teaspoon of poultry
seasoning, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and sometimes a extra dash of
sage and thyme (to taste).

Fourth I pour this mixture onto 6-8 C of dry and cooled bread cubes
and add in 1 C of GFCF chicken stock. I toss it with my hands until
it forms and holds together when I cup it in my hands. I sometimes
add more stock if needed but not too much or it will be mushy.

Fifth I place some in the turkey and the rest I bake separately in a
greased and covered baking dish at 325 for about 20-30 minutes hour
(or until a thermometer reaches 160 degrees).

If you find it dried out too much you can drizzle a bit more stock
on top while it cooks or if it is too moist, take off the cover and
continue to bake.

Good Luck and HTH stuff the turkey!
Lori Bakes

P.S. I have always used my own homemade bread for stuffing but that is
my preference. Although I have to say I have made croutons and bread
pudding out of Ener-G Tapioca bread during demonstrations and it works
well due to its dense texture.
cup
__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment