Wednesday, October 19, 2011

reactive hypoglycemia for years before going off dairy and gluten

 
I had reactive hypoglycemia for years before going off dairy and gluten.  It was bizarre...it just went away.
Basically, your blood sugar just drops like a rock.  Mine went from 120 to 32 between tests.the tests were every 10 minutes.  Mine dropped at the 4.5 hour mark.  They tested me by having me drink a really sweet drink (can't remember the name but it was too sweet) and then testing my blood sugar every 10 minutes for 6 hours.  At 4 hours and 20 minutes, I was fine.  At 4 and a half hours, I was awful.  I knew without the numbers.  Light headed, shakey, feeling awful, dizzy, cold....  they took my blood about freaked out because I should have passed out but didn't.  New doctors kept coming by to ask me how I didn't pass out....  The answer?  Breathing.  I had been living with 'episodes' for a long time and had learned to breathe through them from attending Lamaze classes with a friend ages before.  I learned that focusing on breathing and changing my breathing would keep me from passing out.  They kept arguing with me...
So, he is acting out because he is hungry.  I would get really crabby grouchy, mean, unfocused, emotional, and be unable to function normally.  When he eats, his blood sugar rises and stabilizes and he normalizes.
Glycemic load is basically, how many carbs are in something.  BL will have a 'real' definition but sugars and starches digest quickly.  Proteins digest slowly.  Sugars and starches are high glycemic.  Proteins are low glycemic.  You'll want to avoid  or limit sugars,starches (standard flours, potatos, rices, starchy vegetables~carrots, sweet potatos, and such) and focus on lower glycemic veggies like brocolli, zucchini, green beans, etc and proteins.  You can find links to various glycemic indexes online.
If you are looking at low glycemic breads and he can have nuts, contact me offline and I can help with some recipes.  We have a growing number of bloggers coming out with nut flour recipes.  Nut flours are high protein and low carb and so, low glycemic.  I bake pretty much exclusively with them. 
Proteins take a longer time for the body to break down so they proved a steadier source of energy than sugar, which is easily broken down. 
I hope I answered something.  I'm sorry, it is late and I am tired.  Had a very full day.  Do not hesitate to ask either here or by e:mailing me directly.  I'm happy to help and I LOVE nut flours.  I eat a low glycemic diet.


Karen Tressler 
__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment