Monday, November 7, 2011

Crockpot Freezer Meals

 

 Could you share exactly how you cook the chicken breasts for use later? 
 What all do you put in the crock, how long do you cook, etc? Also, do you 
 typically freeze whole, do you cut up, or do you shred first? Does that 
 make a difference? There are so many recipes that call for cooked chicken 
 and I never seem to have any on hand when I want to try one. Thanks so 
 much for the help!
 Michele

Sure. I buy the boneless, skinless chicken breasts when they're on sale, 
throw as many as will fit comfortably in my crockpot with a chopped rib of 
celery and a handful of chopped onion, add about a teaspoon of Better Than 
Bouillon and a cup of water, and cook it for about 6-8 hours. I take the 
chicken out, let it cool enough to handle, then chop into bite-sized pieces, 
put it in two-cup amounts into freezer bags and throw them in the freezer.

I know it's not safe to refreeze raw meat, but I've never seen anything that 
says you can't cook meat, freeze it, then use the cooked meat in a recipe 
and refreeze it. So that's what I do if I have more than I want to use for 
a casserole at the time.

The leftover broth can be useful, too. But you want to chill it and skim 
off the fat first <g.

Meg

cup

No comments:

Post a Comment